Cover Image: Beach Arrival by Carlos Vela-Martinez
Conk! Conk! Conk!
“Pheruuuuuuuuggaaa!” Greetings all ye Sci-fi fans! Gather with me down here on the beach. That’s right, don’t be afraid. I simply put copper wire in the fire to make it burn green. There’s no sorcery here, only magic. Come closer, don’t be afraid. The first meeting of the Alpha (Fe)male Science Fiction Movie Club is about to begin.
Please, take a seat, 1 Fathom apart, please. There’s plenty of fermented coconut to go around. Michi, thanks for handing those out. Basti, don’t drink that, Michi put something in it, not funny Michi. You and Felix sit over there. Evan, perhaps you could sit at the back, you’re one of the taller ones here. There’s a spot by the tall Queen Karin there. Please ladies, can you leave Paul Giffith alone, you’re too close to him, ladies, please 1 fathom please. Laura, will you and Aidan please stop gossiping and giggling, this is serious. Krystal will you please take the fathomweights off of Harlan’s ankles. OK, thank you.. ahem..
Fathomlanders! If I may have your attention. It’s come to our.. attention.. that there is a general malaise setting in. With the advent of the Second Wave of the pestilence plaguing our fair land, restlessness and forlornity has peaked. Complacency and apathy cut deep into our collective psyche. It does not become our noble species to wear pajamas all day, eat bread without restraint, or watch the suns Minerva and Dion lazily cross the sky. Our time is fleeting! We still must seize each day.
As Minerva sets deep in her valley of the south, beyond Tomorrow and NIWA, we’ve gathered on this beach, in front of this Salt Portal to join in communal appreciation of a cultural artefact. The first will be a structured light show, or film. Our elders, Krystal, Carlos, Nick, and myself, have presented 10 options for you to choose from. In front of you will be a selection. Please choose one or more films that you’d like to collectively watch in a fortnight from now, on the Second Thursday of the new moon, January 14th, 2021. We will employ TeleParty (formerly Netflix Party), a plugin for Chrome that will allow us to collectively watch the film through the portal. As you know, time is out of phase for us, and we will have two viewing times, 9pm PST, 12am EST, 5pm NZT (run by Gabe), and again for our European friends at 9pm CET (run by Michi). Teleparty will start and stop the movie at the same time, and viewers can write in with their comments.
Jan 15, 2021 Viewing Party
The films being considered for viewing are:
Sci-Fi (or Sci) Movie to Watch Jan 15, 2021 (2 Votes)
- Moon (2009) (20%, 4 Votes)
- Mad Max Fury Road (20%, 4 Votes)
- Children of Men (20%, 4 Votes)
- Alien (1979) (15%, 3 Votes)
- Blade Runner 2049 (10%, 2 Votes)
- The Martian (5%, 1 Votes)
- The Current War (2020) (5%, 1 Votes)
- Ex Machina (5%, 1 Votes)
- Gravity (0%, 0 Votes)
- The Imitation Game (2014) (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 14
If you have another suggestion, please add it to the comments. After Sci-Fi, we’ll consider historical films, then go from there.
The following are short synopsis told from the perspective of Carlos Vela-Martinez’ (who watches Star Wars from the point of view of the droids? Carlos, that’s who).
Mad Max Fury Road
The Fifth Element
Back to the Future
We need to keep busy, so better to keep busy together. Vote on the best Sci-Fi movie of all time. Let me know in the comments what to add.
Best Sci-Fi Movie (2 Votes)
- Blade Runner (1982) (54%, 7 Votes)
- Moon (2009) (15%, 2 Votes)
- Star Wars (A New Hope) (8%, 1 Votes)
- Max Max Road Warrior (1981) (8%, 1 Votes)
- Arrival (2016) (8%, 1 Votes)
- Brazil (1985) (8%, 1 Votes)
- The Fifth Element (1997) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Space Odyssey 2001(1968) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Back to the Future (1985) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Contact (1997) (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 11
I think MLB Nick Page is going a bit squirrely and demanded I put Day of the Triffids on here.
Sci Fi, Historical Fiction, or Magical Realism Book to Read (2 Votes)
- Day of the Triffids (Wyndham) (29%, 5 Votes)
- William Gibson (Neuromancer?) (24%, 4 Votes)
- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Adams) (18%, 3 Votes)
- Frankenstein (Shelley) (12%, 2 Votes)
- Rendezvous with Rama (Clarke) (12%, 2 Votes)
- Kafka on the Beach (Murakami) (6%, 1 Votes)
- The Hero's Journey (Star Wars Prequel) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Ready Player One (or Two) (0%, 0 Votes)
- I Robot (Asimov) (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 13
Best Streaming Series to Watch Next (2 Votes)
- The Dark (Netflix) (42%, 5 Votes)
- The Expanse (Amazon) (33%, 4 Votes)
- Mandalorian (Disney) (17%, 2 Votes)
- Peaky Blinders (Netflix) (8%, 1 Votes)
- Patriot (Amazon) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Man in the High Castle (Amazon) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Sherlock Holmes (BBC-Netflix) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Fleabag (Amazon) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Barbarens (Netflix) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Money Heist (Netflix) (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 10